To apply for the position of firefighter, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
If you are interested in becoming a firefighter but have not yet met all of the eligibility requirements, please contact the Assistant Chief of Training at 919-580-4260 for information about a mentoring program that can assist you in achieving the requirements.
All Firefighter applications must be submitted online!
Click HERE to apply.
For additional questions, please contact our Assistant Chief of Training at 919-580-4260.
Application Period: Advertisement of the firefighter position will be posted on the City of Goldsboro’s web site – www.goldsboronc.gov.
A letter of instruction will be emailed to each qualified applicant that will guide them in the hiring process and provide a checklist of certificates and forms that will be required by an assigned date or before employment.
- Work Keys Certificate
- NC Emergency Medical Technician Certificate
- Criminal History Record
- Driver License History
- CPAT Injury Waiver
- CPAT Medical Form
- Orientation Waiver
The letter will also give dates of meetings for candidates to visit the department and to learn about the physical fitness test.
If you are interested in becoming a firefighter and would like more information, please contact the Assistant Chief of Training at 919-580-4260.
Applications must be submitted online. Click HERE to apply.
Each year after the hiring process has been completed, the Command Staff will compile a list of the top candidates to be hired for the next year upon job opening.
For more information, please contact our Assistant Chief of Training at 919-580-4260.
- Candidate Physical Agility Test: Applicants will be scheduled to attend the orientation for CPAT. Orientation is highly recommended but is not mandatory. All applicants who choose not to attend Orientation will be required to sign a waiver.
- Criminal History and Driving Record: Applicants will bring a copy of their criminal history and driving records from the last seven years. These documents must be authentic in nature, from a reputable and official source.
- Work Keys Certificate: Applicants will be required to submit a Work Keys Job Skill Certificate which can be obtained from any NC Community College. Applicants from out of state can go to www.act.org. The cost for the certificate is $36.00 locally but may vary depending on where the assessment is taken. Once the assessment has been completed you are required to register your scores online at www.myworkkeys.com. For further information and practice test, please visit www.act.org. You may also contact Wayne Community College for a study lab to prepare or if you would like additional information on how to obtain certification.
- Candidate Interview: Applicants who successfully complete the CPAT are then considered candidates and are scheduled for a structured interview before a panel.
- Background/Reference Check: Candidates who are selected for further consideration will have a background check conducted by the City.
- Conditional Offer of Employment: As the department needs to fill vacancies, candidates are scheduled for a conditional offer of employment, which outlines what is expected of the candidate during the first year of employment.
- Drug Test Screening: After a conditional offer of employment, a drug screening test must be conducted and provide negative results to be hired.
- Medical Screening: Candidates must meet the medical requirements set forth in OSHA 1910.156, 1910.134 and 1910.120.
CPAT – Candidate Physical Agility Test
What is CPAT?
Click “What is CPAT?” to view the CPAT Test informational video.
Information Meeting: Applicants are encouraged to attend the information meeting. Applicants will visit the department and ask questions about the requirements needed. Applicants will also be given information on the CPAT test at this time.
CPAT Orientation: Applicants will be scheduled to attend the orientation to CPAT. Orientation is highly recommended but is not mandatory. All applicants that chose not to attend Orientation will be required to sign a waiver.
CPAT Time Trials: Applicants will be scheduled to perform the time trials.
CPAT Test: All applicants that have not passed the time trials will be scheduled for the test.
Interview Process: Candidates will be scheduled for an interview with the Command Staff and a Human Resources representative.
Candidates who are selected for further consideration will have a background check conducted by the City of Goldsboro.
As the department needs to fill vacancies, candidates are scheduled for a conditional offer of employment which outlines what is expected of the candidate during the first year of employment.
Upon the conditional offer of employment, a physical and drug screen test will be conducted prior to final job offer.
Candidates must meet the medical requirements set forth in OSHA 1910.156, 1910.134 and 1910.120.