The Wayne County Memorial Community Building was a fixture in Goldsboro as it honored those who died during WWI. It was built in 1924 and served not only as a memorial, but as a meeting place for some organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Red Cross, and United Way. It was also the headquarters for Goldsboro Recreation and Parks Department for many years. This building was destroyed on May 2, 2004 from a fire that started in the cupola on top of the roof. By the time the firefighters reached the scene, the fire had already overcome the structure. Chemicals inside the building aided in the fire spread. Outside, storms including lightning and high winds, were not helping the situation either. Off-duty GFD personnel were called to the scene to assist, as well as two neighboring departments, Mar Mac Volunteer Fire Department and Pinewood Volunteer Fire Department. It took over 3 hours for the fire to be contained.